Friday, October 24, 2008

True Blood Fever!

What can I say, “sugar and spice and everything nice” was never the quote for me. Give me tall, dark, and dangerous. Fangs and blood in dark nights by the light of the full moon. Throw in a howl or a growl, and we have the makings for my kind of story. As Halloween fast approaches, I figured I would get with the program, or at least a little more in the spirit, of all things spooky.

I force my friends to read my work, and most of them aren't ashamed to admit that they don't read a lot, especially paranormal. But they love me, and they read each and every one of my stories anyway, helping me with countless corrections and versions as I critique the stories to death. I love my dear friends to pieces.

My critiquer/friend Shavonne, got hooked on a new TV series (and I'd like to think that the reason she was so open to watching such a show was because of how interesting my own stories are - lol). Anyway, she said I had to check it out; so last night I celebrated having the night off with a TV Marathon at her house watching nearly 6 hours of what has become my newest addiction: True Blood, the HBO Original Series based off of the novels of one of my favorite authors, Charlaine Harris.






Taking place in Bon Temps, Louisiana, waitress and mind-reader Sookie Stackhouse, played by the lovely Anna Paquin, lives in a time where Vampires are trying to integrate themselves into society becoming citizens with the same rights as humans. A unique woman with her open-mindedness towards the Vampires’ plight, Sookie is ready to befriend the first vampire she meets, the handsome William Compton. Weird and deadly happenings occur soon after his arrival to Bon Temps, including deaths of Sookie’s nearest and dearests. Surrounded by a “colorful” team of friends, Sookie will have to use her special abilities, instincts, and smarts, resulting from her life as a backwoods waitress no doubt, to find the killer, and save the people in her town, all while being awakened to her first experiences of love and passion.





The southern accents leave much to be desired. Tera and Sam’s accents are okay during some episodes, but I have no idea what accent Rene’ is supposed to be pulling off. I guess the idea was for a strong Cajun accent but it sounds more like a mix of Jamaican, Cajun, Latin, I don’t know. (But the actor is kinda hot – in that special way of Cajun men). My favorite part of the show is the particular brand of stupid some of the characters are portrayed as, from the crack team of local law enforcement, with their ‘Uh Miranda rights? (scratching forehead) Yeah, we forgot about those’ to the ignorant townsfolk. But its Hollywood and television and fiction, right?

But seriously, my fav part is Sookie and her little love triangle. I’m currently in a weird Bill-Sam debate. I just can’t decide which one I want for her (depends who is on the screen, I guess). Her BFFs, Lafayette and Tera, are fascinating characters, and I can’t wait to see more of them. And her brother, Jason Stackhouse is headed for trouble; however will he get out of jail this time.


Despite the horrible accents and hilarious “fangs,” I’M HOOKED. Which is exactly what happened a few years ago. When I first started my paranormal addiction, I flew through the series by Charlaine Harris; I stopped at the 6th book because life got in the way. But there are 8 books in the series, with book 9 coming out soon, and I can’t wait to start them from scratch and refresh my memory on the escapades of that Sookie Stackhouse.

This is a great series for anyone who loves Paranormal/Fantasy or anyone who may want to get their feet wet in the genre. Look for the Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire Series and start with Book 1 today! And Sunday nights at 9:00PM ET, if you’re tired of reality TV (yuck) and looking for something different to watch, check out HBO.

Mood: Happy (though a bit bummed that I'm missing VooDoo Fest '08)
Drink: Hazelnut Hot Chocolate from Starbucks
Song: Right to Be Wrong by Joss Stone

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to watch~RR

Anonymous said...

DAMN, I gots no HBO's!~RR

Mindy Blanchard said...

Me neither. Otherwise, we coulda had some marathons..sucks.M

Winona Cross said...

Man, I wish I had HBO. I would love this series. I think little Anna Paquin is great. I remember her from "The Piano" with Holly Hunter.

Can't wait to see you. I need you to teach me how to put more pictures in with posts. I got one in on my latest entry, but couldn't figure out how to add more.

Tomorrow. BWG and NANO.

Nona

Anonymous said...

hey, good to see you today. I've read some Charlaine, but not this Sookie series. My daughter read a couple and would love to watch it but we don't have HBO either. Have you read the Twighlight series?

I don't think Sookie is for me. Once I see someone with big teeth going for the neck, I feel faint. :)

Hope you're writ-A-thon with Nona went well today. How many words?

Mindy Blanchard said...

I wish I had HBO, too, but I guess I don't need anything else to use as a distraction.

You may want to give Sookie a shot - she's great. and vampire teeth are hot! lol

I'm mixed on the Twilight series. I read the first 3 books. I loved the first and then I started hating bella's character. I love edward and jacob but bella makes me want to vomit. I haven't read the newest one, but I'm still planning on catching the movie when it comes out.

Great day today. Writing with Nona, I accomplished a lot. Though I didn't reach my daily goal, I did great. We wrote for less than an hour and I have 1608 words.

Nano!

Anonymous said...

Guess what! Lynn and Megan have HBO on demand, so were gonna put on a True Blood marathon and catch up~RR

Mindy Blanchard said...

woo HOO! True Blood Marathons are good. There are only three more episodes this season. I missed two.

Already got the finale marathon planned!!!!

Ya'll are gonna be hooked in no time! lol

M