Saturday, October 11, 2008

To A New Healthy Life

My Aunt, best friend, co-worker, life-saver, sounding board..my heart...just found out that she has cancer. So she's dealing with the decisions about what to do as her next step.

After she left, I cried. She's my heart. Over the past 2 years we have gotten so close working together for my second job. (We have lived next to each other for 20 something years). She's the one that stays late at work so that I can go to a writer's group meeting, critique meeting, night classes, attend a writing workshop, etc. She's selfless and I take way to much advantage of her.

I love her to pieces. Here's a pic of her at Christmas time:



Having this happen has opened my eyes, has made me realize that I can't keep putting off the things I don't want to deal with hoping I'll have a chance to fix them later. Because we never know if there is a later. And I want to live the life I want now rather than hoping and dreaming for it later.

So, Nona and I have made a promise to each other to take a step towards a more healthier "us." So we'll vent, rage, motivate, cheer, etc., to and for each other. Tomorrow will be my first day. (So I can still have whatever I want today. ha! Always find a way to beat the system!)

All jokes aside, its back to Weight Watchers and making better choices. (no more pecan pies at Picadilly - sigh). A few weeks ago I was talking to someone and they asked if I had kids or a husband. When I said 'no' to both, he asked what was wrong with me. Now what kind of a question is that?!?

Needless to say, part of my problem with being in a healthy relationship isn't my weight from the guy's perspective but more my weight from my perspective. And its my psychological issues, and losing weight will not make my "problems" go away since I still see myself as I see myself.

But at least I'll be able to walk in Crissy's wedding in May and not feel too much like a nightmare in the bridesmaids dress. And at least I'll be able to go on vacation with Stacey and Lauren and not need a nap in the middle of the day when we take Virginia, Pennsylvania, Washington DC by storm in April.

So these are my goals and I'm sticking to it, one day, one pound at a time. Going through my goals from the beginning of the year, here's my last attempt at this same goal:




I started a new art journal on...witches. And you use the words on the page to make some little saying or sentence to associate with the work on the page. This one says "cow, cow, hide the old witch" so I used the skinny cow symbol (lol I love that skinny cow) and the old witch being the old me.

So anyway, here's to better choices. Starting on 10/12/08.

Words Written Today: none - I lived! I went to watch my niece play in a volleyball tournament.

5 comments:

Angie Kay Dilmore said...

The first step in living healthier is the desire and the right attitude, and you have both. I wish you all the best.

Winona Cross said...

Mindy--I am so sorry about your aunt and her cancer diagnosis. Drop the guilt you so easily carry. I'm proud of both of us for making the decision to become healthier. I haven't got it totally figured out yet, but for two days I've done fairly well. Enough to give myself a pat on the back. Angie's right in her comment--attitude is so important. Love you,

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your aunt. Be sure and let her know just how much she means to you. Don't be silent because then you really will have something to feel guilty about.

I started to go to WW last Wed. in Beaumont. And then I thought of the $$ and backed out. My dh says cut out all bread and all sweets, but I'm not too good at sitting back and watching him eat his Reese's PB cup. :(

Anonymous said...

I'm not spending the money on WW. I'm going it alone with my books and my point counting.

Don't cut anything out. Just limit the amount that you take in. I'm addicted to chocolate. So rather than cut it out of my diet, I buy the 60 calorie packs and keep them in my desk. I get a craving and eat one and then I'm good.

So Just try to limit it to one piece of bread and one sweet if possible per day and don't stress about the rest. Moderation. Not Limitation.

Thanks, you guys!!

Min

Anonymous said...

Very cool idea for a book! Blessings on your healthy journey.