Sunday, January 25, 2009

Finding The Fix For An Old Story

Bonjour, mon ami(e). (Hello, my friend) Je ne pense que le francais est tres facile. (I do not think French is very easy.) Je pense que le francais est difficile. (I do think French is difficult.) Je parle anglais tres bien. (I speak English very well.) Je parle un peu francais. (I speak a little French).

Mon cours de la francois (My French class) is killing moi (me). I had my first study session with mon amie Crissy, who has an hear and voice for languages. I, unfortunately, do not have either. So while she speaks beautiful French, I sound like an idiot.

My first quiz is tomorrow night. I have not studied as much as I should have. I have done all of the exercises, reviewed all of the informaiton and used French in my everyday life. I did all of the preparation required and then some, but I find that I'm still not prepared. I'm tired of French. I have the cd playing in my car everywhere I go. I have flashcards and the notebook that goes everywhere I go. I have Uno cards that I'm playing my own version of "French solitaire" with, learning my numbers and quizzing myself. I am trying to get immersed. I stop strangers and speak French to them. My friends through out questions to quiz me. I have plans to watch a French film in 2 weeks. I'm reading French websites that I have no chance of understanding. All in all, it's quite funny and embarrassing, but I'm immersed in the darn language. I'm trying, and I guess that's the best I can do.

This weekend was very interessant (interesting). After work on Friday I met up with an old friend at her house. She baked a cake. I watched and looked at old pics of us growing up. We talked and reminisced. It was great. I am very lucky to be as rich in friendships as I am.

Saturday I attended the Writers' Guild of Acadiana Novel Writing Workshop by Romance author Christie Craig. The workshop was FANTASTIC. I was inspired. I realized the problem in two of my current works-in-progress, and I thought up a great new short story idea for my Emotions series.

The novel that I had put aside after NaNoWriMo is now ready to be overhauled. I knew something about my story was off, but I couldn't figure out where it was or how to fix it. The workshop made me realize exactly what the problem was. It seems I was missing a key element; I wrote 1500 extra words toward the story during the workshop and now have an ironclad plot idea (I believe). It will require further review of the story and my idea to fix any other problems that may arise from fixing the plot after 83,000 words but I'll have to save that for another day. For now I am ready to get back into my story. I missed my characters and now that I realize what the fix may be, the story just wants to pour out of me. I only wish I had more time to get it down on paper.

This French class is taking everything out of me. But I refuse to focus on the negative. I will write my words, whatever amount I can, whenever I can, and it will take as long as it takes to get this story finished. Because I normally never finish what I start, or at least that's what I always thought.

But that is not that case anymore. The proof is in: I've submitted 2 finished pieces this week (a memoir and a poem) and I put the finishing touches on my next submission (a short story) which my readers are giving a final run-through and which will be sent out next week. I'm a writer. It's what I do and what I am. I chose my so-called life so I better just deal with the difficulties that being such a busy-body brings and get it all done. Despite how busy I am, I can't not write. It's in my soul, my essence, my heart. And nothing will change that.

Life is great. School is good. Work is ok. Writing is awesome!

I love Kelly Clarkson's new song - I'm looking forward to getting the album!!

Ciao! A bientot! (Bye! See you soon)
Mindy

No comments: