Friday, November 7, 2008

To Take Up Arms

I find inspiration everywhere. And the people that know and love me know that I'm a sucker for this kind of thing. A friend brought this cause to my attention and after researching it, I am inspired and touched and need to spread the word!

To Write Love On Her Arms is a non-profit organization to help kids with suicide and depression which often leads to other problems when untreated: drugs, alcohol, eating disorders, or self-injury.

This organization started over one young woman’s struggle with drug abuse. She was considered too much of a health risk to be admitted to a clinic. Her friends stepped up for this girl they loved, and they stayed with her for 5 days to help her overcome her addiction. They helped her save her life. She is alive and well today.

This group of remarkable people has a mission to spread the word and help others. They speak out on this “brokenness” that can be found within a lot of us, promoting love and help for anyone who has or knows someone who struggles with self-injury, depression, drugs, alcohol, body image issues, sexual addiction, etc.

There are many variations in place for spreading the word by other groups that have been inspired by this original group. Here are two:


(1) Have a day where anyone who wants to support the cause will go around their schools/jobs and write LOVED in red on other people’s arms; that day is December 13th.

(2) Write the word LOVED in red on your own arm for one day each month; people will be curious and ask, and you can spread the word.


The story of the original group who worked so hard to save a friend they loved and the inspiration and help that they have given teenagers with the many issues that they have to deal with has really touched my heart and inspired me to take up the cause.

I have friends and loved ones who at one point in their lives have suffered with struggles of self-injury, depression, body image issues, etc. (including ME). And I never want them to feel that they do not have a place to turn. So I’ll take up the cause, and on the 13th of each month, I’ll write LOVED in red on my arm to let them know that I’m here for them, for everyone, and they are LOVED!

Who’s with me?


Can be found at http://www.twloha.com/ and http://www.myspace.com/towriteloveonherarms .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Min Lou.
And you are LOVED!
~RR

Winona Cross said...

Well, I am most certainly with you. I understand from whence this pain comes. Thank you for letting us know aobut this cause. Loved. What a concept. Imagine the impact it will have on the depressed person to look down at her arm and see the word "LOVED" written in the red of love.

You are unique and so very special. I do love you.

Nona

Mindy Blanchard said...

RR and Nona,

Thanks for standing with me for this wonderful cause. You two amazing women are LOVED!

Mindy